Welcome to Leader Who Leads!
I am very glad you landed here!
This leadership development portal was born out of a deep desire to help leaders solve their most pressing problems.
It is designed for those who have answered the call to lead; those who are willing to be transformed.
Bottom line, leadership is about transformation. And developing as a leader is about building the "muscles" required to move a group or organization from survival to stability to success and, ultimately, to significance.
Regardless of where you are in the world, without proper leadership, ventures fail...people fail...teams fail...to reach their full potential.
Indeed, growth is intentional. Development does not occur by accident. Leadership traits must be cultivated.
Leader Who Leads is designed for that purpose and addresses the following:
(For a complete list, please check out the nav bar to your right.)
Definition of Leadership
To make sure we are on the same page and speaking the same lanuage, please take a look at the following definitions.
Although there are many leadership theories, most people agree on what leadership means. Miriam-Webster defines it this way:
Leadership is “the action of leading a group of people or an organization. It is the state or position of being a
Development is to “cause to grow and
become more mature or advanced.” Synonyms
for development give the image of evolving, expanding and unfolding; becoming progressively better in quality or degree.
Development refers to “any activity that enhances the quality of
leadership within an individual or organization.”
Leaders: Born or Made?
There is the age-old debate as to
whether leaders are born or made. One
commentator responded by saying, "Of course leaders are born. Then they are made!"
This implies that all people are born
with natural gifts and talents. As we
nurture our leadership qualities, we become who were created to be.
And when that happens, we begin to "do" that which we were created to do: motivate people to work in unity toward common goals.
Become A "Leader Who Leads"
Whether you found the leadership position or the position found you, it is your time. You have much work to do. Step forward and become a "Leader Who Leads."
Start from where you are. Discover your styles. Get acquainted with some well-known Leadership Theories. Then see how you can practically apply concepts from those leadership models and theories.
Or you might start by looking at some Leadership Traits.
The most important part is not so much where you start but "that" you start.
Some very valuable nuggets are contained herein. They are designed to speed you along in developing your leadership skills, moving you from survival to become a "Leader Who Leads.
Want To Know More?
Thankfully, leadership is art and science; there is no "one size fits all." And leadership development occurs in a variety of ways.
My desire is that you become the leader you were born to be.
- About Coach Gwen
- About Coach Gwen: an advisor to leaders at all levels and encourager by nature, she loves to help people be their very best. Her mission is to help develop leaders who lead.
- Contact Coach Gwen
- Contact Coach Gwen to know more about solutions to improve your productivity and earning power.
- Diversity At Work
- Diversity At Work is a series of courses designed to help leaders understand how to leverage diversity in the workplace.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Don McLaughlin On Leadership
- Don McLaughlin On Leadership
- Effectiveness Quotient
- Have you assessed your effectiveness quotient lately? If not, now is a perfect time.
- Coaching Conversations
- Coaching conversations can be quite powerful for all employees, but especially for millenials in the workplace.
- Jim Duncan On Leadership
- Jim Duncan on Leadership gives us a birds eye view into what has made Jim a successful leader.
- Jung Typology, Myers Briggs Type Indicator, Personality Profile, MBTI
- The Jung Typology is one of my favorite "tests" designed to assess a person's personality. Based on Carl Jung's research, it is the basis of the Myers Briggs Personality Type Assessment.
- Leadership Coaching
- Leadership Coaching is designed to help individuals in leadership positions become leaders who lead.
- Leadership and Conflict
- Leadership and conflict highlights the fact that conflict is inevitable when two are more come together. This discussion explores types of conflict and conflict management styles.
- Credible Leaders
- Credible leaders are often hard to find. But it is possible to become a credible leader, a true leader who leads.
- Leadership and Diversity
- Leadership and diversity highlights the fact that diversity is multifaceted; therefore, inclusion strategies must be too.
- Leadership and Listening
- Leadership and listening highlights findings from a study that investigates the relationship between effective listening and leadership.
- Leadership versus Management
- These Leadership versus Management quotes highlight commonly believed differences between the two.
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Managing and measuring work explores the critical components of performance management which all leaders must master.
- Leadership and Motivation
- Leadership and Motivation examines Theory X and Theory Y - what managers believe about what motivates employees and why people work.
- Leadership Styles
- Leadership styles influence the degree to which a leader involves followers in the decision making process.
- Leadership and Styles
- Leadership and Styles relate to those styles that directly impact a leader's ability to get work done through others. This includes personality, communication and learning styles.
- Leadership and Team Building
- Leadership and team building gives insight and strategies for building high performing work teams.
- Leadership Theories
- Explanation of Leadership Theories and Models and their practical application.
- Leadership Traits
- Certain leadership traits and qualities contribute to success. Leaders are life-long learners who apply what they learn. Leaders are credible.
- Leadership and Trust
- Leadership and trust highlights ways to get and keep trust in your working relationships.
- Leadership Types
- Leadership Types examines attributes of the transactional and the transformational leader, as well as servant or charismatic leadership.
- Leadership Quotes
- Famous and insightful leadership quotes
- Leadership In Action
- Leadership in action examines the behaviors of leaders who lead. It is one thing to read about them, but something quite remarkable to see them "live and in living color."
- Bruce Patterson on Leadership
- Bruce Patterson on Leadership are excerpts from a conversation about leadership styles and influencing others.
- Paul Records On Leadership
- Paul Records On Leadership is an indepth discussion with my mentor. In it, he gives insight on the value of mentorship.
- Situational Leadership
- Situational Leadership is a practical leadership model developed by Paul Hersey and Kenneth Blanchard.
- Women Who Lead
- Welcome! This space has been designed specifically for women who lead.
- This Disclaimer page describes important infomation about the content on this website.